Xyloba Junior Midi - 21 pieces
The marble run - Xyloba Junior Midi - 21 pieces
Welcome to the world of Xyloba Junior, the little sister of the legendary musical marble run Xyloba. The marble track Xyloba Junior combines the fun of play for the littlest of children with a playful approach to the world of music. For their safety, we only use extra-large marbles which cannot be accidentally swallowed. With its universal components, Xyloba Junior enables you to build an endless number of variants for different marble tracks. Fun with learning as a side effect is guaranteed! The large, colourful marbles roll majestically over the marble tracks. Combined with the sound bricks, they produce real notes.
Xyloba Junior Midi includes 21 pieces:
- 3x Marble Run Long - each has a slight slope which allows the marbles to run downwards. It is 225 mm long.
- 2x Marble Run Short - each has a slight slope which allows the marbles to run downwards. It is 150 mm long.
- 1x Starting Brick - can be used as the starting slot and as a structural element.
- 2x Sound Brick - the sound elements with the notes C3, G3 are built in to the sound brick. If the marble hits the sound plate, it makes a sound of the corresponding pitch.
- 9x Structure Bricks - the structural brick allows you to build the marble track higher. It supports marble runs, starting bricks and sound bricks.
- 4 Wooden Balls - the wooden marbles are red, yellow, green or blue and have a diameter of 46 mm.
Xyloba Junior is made of 100 % untreated beechwood. Each part is made lovingly by hand in our workshops with supporting machine work.
Samuel Langweiler started working on his idea of a musical marble run in 1969 which would allow a marble to create a melody by striking chimes while running down the tracks. Samuel wanted the marble run to be interactive and the chimes to be interchangeable so children could not only build marble runs but also create different tunes by changing the order of the chimes and the lengths of the tracks in between. During the design process Samuel encountered quite a few problems but after many experiments he came up with his first melody and design. Due to his busy job as a cellist for the Tonhalle Orchester Zürich and being on tour for long periods at a time, Samuel did not have time to search for a manufacturer for his marble run. It was only years later that the Weizenkorn Foundation started manufacturing and distributing Samuel’s invention under the name Xyloba Musical Marble Runs.
Xyloba Musical Marble Runs is a creative wooden toy which develops fine motor skills, spatial imagination and facilitates a creative approach to music. As the marble rolls down the track it hits each chime in succession. The interlocking system of ramps and sound blocks, which house the chimes, lets children create a large variety of set ups. Xyloba Musical Marble Runs allow children to compose their own tunes by experimenting with the different chimes and the distance - the lengths of the ramps - between the chimes to create a rhythm.
The Weizenkorn Foundation, based in Basel, Switzerland, is a social business which supports and employs over 200 young men and women with psychological impairments who are unable to find work. In the sheltered workshops of the Weizenkorn Foundation these young men and women create the different components of the Xyloba Musical Marble Runs as well as many other beautiful and high quality wooden toys.